I'm a task oriented person. I do better when I have a mental list of things I want to accomplish on a daily basis. I believe in setting short term goals and long term goals, keeping in mind that they must be realistic. Don't set yourself up for failure by aiming too high at first. For instance, if you want to lose 20 pounds, you have to understand that it takes time. Doing it the healthy way will take you about 8-10 weeks. So this would be a good long term goal. A short term goal might be to walk or run 5 days this week. Goals are important to keep us motivated; without them we wouldn't have incentive to do anything.
After setting your goals, think about how you plan to stay committed to them. Having a personal trainer is a great way to be held accountable, but that's not always possible for some people. Maybe working with a friend and keeping each other motivated will work best for you. I like to keep a daily journal of what I eat and what I do in the gym. That way, when I'm not making the progress I should be, I can look back and see where I slipped up. It's a good way to evaluate what does or does not work for me.
What goals do you have for yourself? Do you want to lose weight or get into shape? What have you done so far to acheive your goals? Do you find that you stick with a routine only a few days before you fall off the wagon? Discipline is important in all aspects of our lives. If it were easy, everybody would do it. It's all about mental toughness and a drive to succeed. Take a minute to think about how you go about accomplishing tasks in your everyday life. Setting health and fitness goals is no different than anything else, you have to want it bad enough to make it a priority. So before we go any further, think for a minute about what goals are realistic for you to acheive this week. Then think about where you'd like to be by the first day of summer. Jot these things down and put them where you'll see them everyday. Now you're ready to work!
I'm so glad you started this blog sarah! I've just hit a plateau with my running..I LOVE running, but just realized I can't do this alone to lose weight : ( I'm interested in circuit training & have looked everywhere for a podcast that incorporates this with music to get through the different machines. I used the carli C25K runningintoshape.com podcasts for running & love them! Just cant seem to find any for circuit training. I'm willing to pay for them even...have any suggestions?
ReplyDeleteHey, Jen! Glad you enjoy reading my blog, I really hope I can help some people out! To answer your question, I don't use podcasts so I'm not 100% sure where you'd find one for circuit training. I know Dynamix makes some great music for circuits, they have anywhere from 18-24bpm with lots of remixed top 40 songs. I'd check their website dynamixmusic.com or even search dyanmix fitness music on itunes. I'll check around and get back with you on more ideas!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sarah! I just actually started bootcamp 3 days a week & run a few days in between. I'm hoping for results from this! :)
ReplyDelete