We've all heard it said that "misery loves company". It's true if you really think about it. I know when I'm in a bad mood I have the tendency to bring others down too. I believe all moods are contagious. When I'm in a funk, it helps to be around positive people. Sometimes, though, it's up to ME to get MYSELF out of that negative mindset, I can't rely on other people to change my attitude.
Most of you know this past year has been quite an emotional roller coaster for me. Between my 7 year marriage ending, my 6 year old having some health problems, being in nursing school while raising 2 "energetic" children, and other personal obstacles that life has thrown at me, there have been times I've felt hopeless and defeated. But then I'm reminded of one of my favorite people in the Bible. Job was one of the most faithful men to ever serve God. He was attacked by Satan from every angle; he lost his kids, his farm, his home, he was even stricken with boils on his body from head to toe. Even his wife told him to curse God, but he wouldn't. Do you think he was down and depressed about what was happening to him? Of course! But he never let his troubles define him. In the end, God rewarded his faithfulness and loyalty by blessing him with 7 times what he had before!
What Job went through makes what I've been through seem like nothing! But it does encourage me to stay positive and have a good attitude no matter what I'm faced with. I've started working on that lately. Every morning I pray that God will fill me with His spirit and help me to deal with life with His heart. I put on a smile and remember that my God is bigger than any problem I could have. How does this pertain to health and fitness? Well, it's that 3 in 1 thing I was telling you about earlier: Mind, body, and spirit. In order to acheive any fitness goal, you have to change your mentality about it! Are you willing to work hard when it gets tough? Are you ready to be self disciplined enough to stick with it when you'd rather eat fast food and lie on the couch? When you're mentally tired and physically exhausted will you push yourself a little bit further? When you set goals for yourself, how committed are you to reaching them? I find when I'm in a spin class and there's 10 minutes left and my legs hurt, I'm out of breath, I'm covered in sweat... my body is ready to quit, but my mind says ABSOLUTELY NOT! How do you deal with things when life gets challenging? Are you mentally tough enough fight for what you want? Attitude is everything!
No comments:
Post a Comment